Sunday, March 13, 2011

Took a dive...

I meant to add this on Saturday but got too sidetracked on the run stuff.
And Friday night I was too sidetracked on the run stuff as well.
I was on my way home from ATL.  Always seems to work that no matter how hard I try to get out before the traffic I just seem to miss the opening and sit on 285 around the city etc for a better part of an hour.  Held true this time around as well.
I was feeling peckish so I decided to grab a snack and a soda when I stopped to get gas - before heading out to the gridlock of traffic.  Unfortunately I didnt do a good job of pacing myself with the Doritos and soda.  I was somewhere into SC when I started feeling nauseus.  I havent had soda in a few weeks or so.  dont know the last time I gulped down Doritos.  So there I was trying to make my way to the exit with the cheap gas in SC and feeling rather ill.  I was trying to think of things to eat to offset the sour feeling.  I couldnt think of anything.  So I conitnued to drive.  Eventually I remembered that I had a protein smoothie in the car with me.  They are pretty sweet and a good dose of protein - so why not try a little of that.  Well that seemed to help a little - at least to get me down the road to the gas station.
It was fairly crowded for that hour.  And I was bummed that I still had over an hour of driving to get home.  AND I had to drop off the rental car before going home.  AND I wanted to go to bed early so I would be up early for the race. AND AND AND....  I decided I would clean the garbage - water bottles, soda bottle, half consumed protein smoothie, empty Dorito bag - while I waited for the gas to finish pumping.  And THEN decide if I wanted some more food.
I stepped over the hose pumping the gas, heading towards the garbage recepticle...  and my second foot didnt make it...  I felt it catch.  I tried to catch myself.  And then in that split second I knew I was going down.  Me and the car garbage were headed towards the pavement. 
I got a little hose bunr on the leg that caught, and a slight bruise on the outside of my other knee...  But I dont know eactly what part of me bounced first I everything else is OK.  It happened so quickly.
And there I was sitting on the ground at the petrol station...  Looking around to see who saw.  Would you beleive for all the people there no one acted like they saw me sitting there?
So I scrmabled to my feet.  Threw out the trash.  DID NOT grab my receipt.  The machine wasn't working.  And headed out without a snack.  I took it as a sign to just continue on home.
So I did. 
NOTE TO SELF - do not allow oneself to get so hungry that you end up feeling ill on junk food!!!!  it obviously wreaks havoc with your equilibrium...

No comments: