Saturday, January 7, 2012

Cardio Theater

as I have mentioned this week's focus was to get back in the saddle... i am still not equipped for colder rides so riding on the stationary bike at the gym is my best option... i could do a spin class just havent worked up the nerve yet... and i could look at getting a trainer but that just seems to silly to ride my bike in place in my living room - sure the bike shop has a trainer class but i think that would be even wierder... so to the gym i go
I have been pleased with my week's results given i have not been on a bike since October...  I have been able to get my pace and the concept of fast back on track pretty quickly... not really something i focus on when on the real bike - my focus then is watch out for cars and damn those hills... so this has been a good progression of 6 minute miles to 5 minute miles to 4 minute miles and even yesterday a little better pace... and with the slightly better pace i have been covering slightly longer distances - last night got to 12 miles - today shooting for 15...
but the HIGHLIGHT of this week's training was last night's movie at the cardio theater..
SOUL SURFER which is showing on a little screen in the lobby as you check in.  And they have the case on display as well.  I think great - shark movie.  Just what I need - thank goodness there isnt some odd pass the time away screen at the bottom of the pool feature...  And thank goodness I am not on target to swim tonight...
So off I go to the bike - phew - the girl has already lost her arm - I am in good shape - will just have to watch some cheesy acting on the part of Dennis Quaid...  Oh, not so fast, she lost her arm ages ago the MOVIE IS GOING OFF!!!!  and of course unlike other movies I would like to see that they seem to forget to restart... this one restarts right away!  We are back to PRE-SHARK ATTACK!  Great...  Forget form while cycling... I spend most of my time in the more extended position obsessed with the stats pumping across the screen of my LifeFitness bike...  And on I cycle...  Every once in a while I glance up - still has the arm - not in the water - can watch a little bit...  Cycle on...  Minute 30 - I look up JUST IN TIME to see the shark surge out of the water and grab her arm.
You think I was surprised?  How about those fellow cardio theater gym members?  Sure the shark was startling...  But they surely werent expecting my reaction...  YES - I did give a slight scream and pop out of the saddle as if trying to get away from the shark (the bikes are in the front row).  I caught the eye of the cyclist next to me in the process - because of course he stared right at me!  HAH!  If you cant laugh at yourself who can you laugh at...
It did a nice job of boosting my heart rate up for a bit and motivating me to cycle faster.
Sadly - probably wont be getting in the pool any time soon now...

No comments: