Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Way too many calories today

I do OK with breakfast at hotels.  I usually go with coffee and cereal.  I avoid the odd concoction of fake eggs and nasty microwaved breakfast meat and cold potatoes.  But the lack of quick, easy, healthy foods at lunch just throws my good intentions right out the window.  For the past 2 days I have had McDonalds.  Yes, I know McDonalds.  The fries are 310 calories!!!  That is almost twice the amount of the calories in the bowl of cereal at breakfast.  The quarter pounder with cheese has 580 calories.  I mean what the heck is in that thing that makes it that many calories.  It is enough to make my stomache turn just thinking about it.  Hopefully it will be out of my system for a while.
I have found some other restaurants that are a little bit better.  You have to avoid the fries at all costs.  I mean a few fried potatoes - carbs that arent necessary and a whole bunch of hot fat... just not a necessary food item.  Chic Fil A has a grilled chicken sandwich that comes with a sauce and lettuce and tomatoe on a whole wheat roll.  It is pretty NASTY! BUT if you ask for it plain without the sauce and wilted veggies and no butter on the wheat roll...  it is a tolerable sandwich with less than 300 calories or so.  Subway promotes healthy items too - I just have a hard time avoiding the nasty tuna and cheese when i walk in the door.
So it will be back to the drawing board before the next road trip at the end of the month...
DINNER - should we even talk about dinner?
I was headed to Olive Garden.  You think - what are you going to eat at Olive Garden!?  Well, I like the all you can eat soup and salad.  I keep the soup intake minimal and really enjoy the salad.  That's what I was thinking - go get salad...
And then I hit traffic - I had to go back an exit to get to Olive Garden.  So I went to a local italian restaurant instead.  When traveling isnt it nice to go to a local place and try their food than a chain?  Sure that's what we all tell ourselves.  Of course getting a salad went out the window.
Now the salad was good but so were the garlic rolls, linguine and white clam sauce and OOoops cannoli...
It was VERY good but oh so not on the list - especially after lunch.
So I came back to the hotel and did an hour on the treadmill.  From the looks of it - I burned off at least 300 calories.  I kept a good pace.  And even ran some on the treadmill.  SO I wont complain.
Tomorrow - well overnight - it is supposed to be snowing.  So I may hit the treadmill again in the AM if I cant get out of the hotel.

No comments: