Sunday, August 22, 2010

On that bike - and other highlights of the day

I set my alarm for Saturday morning for 530.  But while lying in bed I realised that sun-up wouldnt be as early as it was a few weeks back.  Googled it on my phone to find tha sun-up is now closer to 650 than 615.  So I changed the alarm to 630 with the intention of riding my bike.  Of course when the alarm went off the notion didnt seem all that plausible.  I could easily talk myself out of it.  But somehow I mustered up the positive self talk and got myself out there.  It was definitely baby cadence.  Down the road, around the corner, up the hill, into the neighborhood just for a bit just in case, out of the neighborhood - knowing full well when I started down the one hill I am then committed.  But I did it.  The little Pine Oak loop... and I must admit for a moment there I contemplated the larger loop....  But at 7am vs 6am there are more cars.  And I am glad I took the smaller loop because somewhere near the end of mile one as I was peddling up that hill - I felt those 2 weeks of being away at about 5 pounds each holding me back.  But I made it.

From there I walked to the post office.  Hold onto your hats - I actually posted not ONE but TWO packages that needed to be mailed.  I know why I delay - it has to do with the crazy late opening hour of hte post office 930 and the fact that it only stays open 2 hours.  But I lugged myself and the two packages over there.  From there I walked to town, past the coffee shop, past the pub, the old firehouse and back.  I didnt do much of a run on that excursion.  Just wasnt feeling it.

IN other highlights of the day - I did walk down the street to check out an estate auction. WOW was there a lot of stuff.  I must admit I didnt know you could put so much stuff into a house like mine.  I know I like the sparse aspects of things - makes it feel more wide open.  This townhouse was just jam packed with stuff.  It didnt seem cluttered.  It seemed well-decorated.  But definitely more stuff than I would ever want to own or clean.

And then from there - I went into town with my newly named friends - Scimberle and Nansom - for the football game.  Tailgating was nice but it sure was hot in the stadium.  Oh and the people watching is always so over the top.  The women sure were dressed up - skirts and sundresses?  And to think I thought my Giants tshirt would attract attention.

Needless to say the alarm was not set to go off as early this morning.

No comments: