Sunday, March 14, 2010

Walking with the Edwards

My friend, Amy, will be all over this. She knows that at this moment the Edward I reference would be Edward Cullen (gosh that alone should get some hits on this page). But the first Edward on my walk is not Edward Cullen. But it is in line with another recent movie phenomenon. Or at least one of its leading actors.  That is a reference to none other than Johnny Depp and Edward Scissorhands. Ah to see Alice in Wonderland or not. I think I will. So back to the walk.
Satruday was to be a rainy day. I had resolved myself to walk in the rain just to get out of the house. Lo and behold - the rain blew through Friday night and it was warm and sunny on Saturday.  Fearful of getting cold I layered on the clothes - tshirt, running shirt, jog (well actually yoga) pants, fleece vest, Google baseball cap, and gloves.  I hate getting cold and I hate realising it is windier out there once I get out from the protection of the little valley of my home.  And off I went.
I start the same way on most days - even though I know to change it up would be beneficial.  Down and around, up the street, down the street, through the cul-da-sac.  It was at this turn around that I noticed the red buds were blooming.  They all looked fluffy and pink and spring time.  And the sun and the blue sky.  It put a smile on my face.  And then I saw it.  The haunting sameness of it all.  Mailbox, red bud in bloom, cookie cutter home, driveway, mailbox, red bud in bloom.  I thought - Oh look Edward Scissorhands.  If you haven't seen the movie, the neighborhood is all the same.  The houses are in very bold colors quite the juxtaposition of Edward but all the same none-the-less.  I cringed at that little detail of the movie when I first saw it.  I loved the street I grew up on.  Even though there were a few ranch houses all in a row, they were all uniquely different.  I did not want the haunting sameness.  It unnerved me at that age.  I hadn't thought about it in a while.  Probably wouldn't have thought about it if it weren't for the various Depp Burton articles I have read recently.  Then I smiled at the fact that there aren't too many homes in the neighbrhood so its not that bad.  AND I live in a townhouse...  So what can I really say about sameness.  And the walk continued.
I made my way out of the neighborhood with an objective to complete 4 miles.  The problem always comes down to passing my neighborhood and giving in OR walking into the wind and getting cold. 
I turned left, the pedometer had me at 1.09miles.  I opted to walk another half mile in this direction so I would get at least 2 miles in.  At the end of the sidwalk I still needed some distance - well just go over the grass, just by the consignment shop, just by the boat shop...  Oh look I am almost to Ski Trail.  I have wanted to walk back there.  I kept going.  Next objective get 2 miles this way and then turn around.
I ran some in the neighborhood and then realised - wow there are some hills back here.  The houses are pretty.  It is kinda shady.  Hmmm - glad I put on the layers I am a bit cold.  Where'd that sun go? 
Beginning of private road....  And still I had not made the distance.  I would have turned back at this point but I have driven back here and know the road does continue it just isn't maintained by the state etc.  I noticed there was a creek and the water was flowing and muddy from the recent rain.  There were lots of woods.  Little trees.  And then I thought - Edward.  Vampires.  You see in the Anne Rice days there was no fear in the daylight until latter stories.  Not so with one.  I laughed it off and continued until I reached my 2 mile marker.  If I knew the whole way there is a 5 mile loop except at the end of the development you need to cut through the woods (a small part of woods really) to get to the next neighborhood.  And I am not too sure where that comes out.  So I turned around and headed back home.
Back down around the bend, over the bridge and the running water of the creek, up a pretty steep hill, and somewhere in there I unnerved myself.  I caught myself, stopped and looked behind me.  I am a scaredy cat, do you expect anything less.  Thankfully, it wasnt' that ominous.  It was just unfamiliar.  Beleive me the hill itself was my main focus at that point - didn't notice how steep it was when I went down it.
And I continued...  in an hour I did just about 3.5 miles...  And I even worked some running in there. 
Other take-aways...  Why the heck do people feel the need to honk at you when you are out on the road out on the sidewalk when they dont know you?  I think that's odd.  My Bermuda reaction is I must know them I should wave - but I didn't.  AND THEN there was another car with a dog hanging out the back window BARKING BARKING BARKING.  It upset all the other dogs resting peacefully in their yards along the road.  I thought that was really rude.

Today I did 4 miles at the park.  Not much to talk about with that one.  Lots of mud.  I cant wait to see what the Garmin shows my pace to be on those muddy slippery passages of the trail.

Tomorrow - maybe some hill running.  Lost my gym lock so it will be an at home workout.

No comments: