Sunday, June 30, 2013

The O2

So I guess I first became aware of the O2 when it was opened as tge Millenium Dome.  Maybe.  Maybe not.  I know a number of artists tgat have perfotrned there.  And somewhere in the googling of it all I realised it is quite an interestibg structure.
In my planning I was glad to find the British Music Experience was there.  It would give me a reason to go and not just oddly gawk at the architecture.
I had no idea until I landed at the dock what all there was there.
Emirates Air has a sky tram.  A cross between a Disney ride and the tram up Stone Mountain.
You can sign up to walk/hike across the top of the dome.
There are more eateries than I anticipated.
And fountains for hot sweaty kids to plan in.

The BME was an experience of the senses.  There was music music music.  There was some memorabilia.  And tonnes of electronic mediums delivering all sorts of musical historical facts.  Some of the gadgets were not the easiest to use but I got the hang of it.

My quest for trivia knowledge of all things British music could have had me stay there all dat.  I did not allow myself to get sucked in...  but I so could Bowie; Beatles,  Freddie, Robbie, The Specials, Adam Ant, Stone Roses.  All sorts of stuff.  All sorts of AHA moments.  All sorts of Oh I haven't heard that in ages.  Or I loved this song.  They have a website.  I intend to revisit.

From there I strolled around some and decided on lunch at an outdoor Mexican restaurant.  Yes, some of the most bizarre Mexican food I have had in some time.  It wasn't bad it just seems to have soice influences from other regions.  And I don't think my margarita had any tequila in it.

I set out for ince cream to offset it.  I was unsuccessful.  So went back to the dock and came to Greenwich.

No comments: