Sunday, November 27, 2011

Turkey Day Observations

I had mentioned the other day I would follow up with some of my observations from the Turkey Trot.
First of all - the 9am start time made for a nice alarm time since it was a day off.  Did not feel like I had to get up super early to make it there on time.  I was glad for that.
The temperature was cold but it didnt stay unbearbly cold for too long and ended up being a rather nice temperature to run in.  I suspect if I had the kick a$$ Garmin I would have been able to track the temperature but oh well...  As for the whole weekend - the weather was exceptionally nice.
The cold.  The allergies.  So it was lunch time Tuesday that I started to feel a tickle in my throat.  I thought it was something too tangy with my lunch.  But it persisted.  By race day I had deficit of sleep from the sore throat thing.  Not enough neti pot to help with the post nasal drip while sleeping.  And that cough drop in the mouth while I sleep?  I know that is such a bad approach to dealing with the persisitent sore throat while sleeping.  Well on race day - that orange flavored Halls Vitamin C Drop lasted as long as the 3.1miles of the race.  Something had to be done to help with that.
On the more non-sensical things...
Not everybody saw the leave your dogs at home note on the web-site.  Sure the bulldog was cute.  And that cuddly black pug?...  And of course neither of them we would expect to get in the way of the race but....  the note was no dogs... 
Not everybody checked themselves out in the mirror before leaving their homes...  um, some of those turkey hats?  They truly looked more like penises (sorry I had to say it) sticking up out of people's heads than turkeys... Didnt those people at least have a family member to stop them... or at least each other?
And for those in the Christmas gear - the race is called a TURKEY TROT....
More importantly were the crowds in general.  You know I am one not to usually like crowds.  Half the reason I like the whole tri concept is no one is going to talk to me while I am swimming or biking and hardly ever while running.  So the crowds on race day make me a little intimidated.  But this was a great feeling.  I guess because there were so many people.  Or because the start line is right in front of my office and therefore my comfort level is at an even keel.  Just not sure.  But really liked the crowd.
Looking forward to doing it again next year.
Now - next week - GingerSnap 5k

No comments: