Monday, January 19, 2009

Little Y

So last week I said in lieu of watching any more football I would hit the gym instead. And that is exactly what I did. OK - on Saturday I got my hair cut instead of going to the gym - but I guess that could still be considered an attempt to lose pounds.
Yesterday I went to the Y closest to my home. It has reasonable hours for a Sunday. The Y has some strange hours on the weekend. They don't stay open as late as one may expect. So I went to the little Y because they don't get as crowded. And I don't feel as anxious about the 30 minutes on a cardio machine rule. Usually there is not a line of people waiting so I can go the distance.
Of course yesterday - my distance was just 30 minutes. Well 32 to be exact. I was going to go for 3 miles but then decided to kick it up a notch with respect to the run. And since I haven't run in AGES it had quite the impact.
I started with a warmup the first 5 minutes in the 2mph to the 3.5mph range.
I then ramped it up to 3.8mph. For some reason once I get to 4mph in walking my stride on the treadmill feels all off.
During the 30 minute time frame I then ramped it up twice to a 5.1mph run pace. Usually I run at a pace faster than this on the treadmill. BUT some have suggested going a bit slower to see if I could keep the pace a bit longer. I don't know it could have worked. I can't quite tell.
I ended up squeezing the 2 miles in over 32 minutes. So I can't complain.
In venturing out of my shell I also found the little stretching area for after the run. This location has always been detrimental to my stretching. I usually walk in jump on the treadmill and walk out. Given yesterday's chill I walked in and had to hang my coat up. And that is when I ventured into the adjoining room and the stretching area as I like to call it.
Today I may go back. It is kind of a day off from work day for me.

No comments: