Monday, January 19, 2009

I am not an athlete

Many have heard me say this. I have said it alot over the past year or so. I consider it to be true in comparison to others. But some may beg to differ. That has to do with my years of doing gymnastics. I don't feel like I did them for very long but I guess enough to make an impact. Plus my mom, the ballerina, drilled it into my head as well. And that's the KEEP YOUR MUSCLES WARM mantra.
So often I would leave the gym with my shorts on. Where are you sweatpants? In my bag. Out them on. It eventually became routine. You put the sweatpants on after the workout to keep your leg muscles warm. Now I just don't like the cold so it is easy to remember.
BUT I have to say I am continually amazed by the amount of people that do not follow this simple guideline. At the little Y the cardio machines all look out the front window and at the front door. I am shocked by the number of people that come and go in their shorts. It's not like it is 80d or even 60d out there. Today it was in the 30s maybe 40s. And these people stroll in and out.
And not only the chill on their muscles... but aren't they concerned about catching an illness? I just don't get it.
So I continue to keep myself wrapped up.
Today I did 2.75miles in 47minutes. I ran twice - once at 5mph and another time at 6mph. I was concentrating more on being there a while than running. I brought my new book on Preident Ford with me. So most of the time I walked at a 3.5mph pace and read. When I looked down and noticed I had already been walking for 18 minutes I was shocked. And then I added some more.
I should have stayed the whole hour but had some other errands to run.
Tomorrow's gym excursion will be in the hotel fitness center. I suppose we will go out to dinner but I hope it is not so late I can't get to the gym. There is an indoor pool too - so I have packed my swimsuit.
And on that note - I am not done packing so I best get at it. Chop chop...

No comments: