Sunday, January 25, 2009

Getting there

Well I almost feel like this gym thing is becoming a habit again. Today was going to be a rough day getting out. It is cold again. And I have a lot to do around the house (still do). But a friend called - she was taking her kids to McD for lunch and play and invited me join along. It got me out of the house... and I figured with a quarter pounder and cheese there needed to be some gym time to follow. So on my way home I went around the block the long way to swing by the little gym.
I am doing well with the getting to a 15minute mile pace. I used to be able to accomplish that so easily. Now it truly takes some running with the walking to get to the pace. I wonder sometimes if it is my stride on the treadmill versus my stride on land that makes that pace a little more difficult. OR it could be that the first few minutes are spent in warm up so I have to kick it up to get to the 15minute pace. The warm up consists of 1minute@2mph; 1minute@2.5mph; 1minute@3mph; 1minute@3.5mph; (hah - that averages out to 2.75mph pace) then I usually ramp it up to 3.8 from there. I use 3.8 as my base and jack it up to a run from there. I alternate between 5mph in a run and 6mph in a run. I like my pace and stride at 6mph better than 5mph but I just can't seem to keep at it as long.
Today's total run/walk was 3.17miles over a 49minute period. Both the 2mile and 3mile marks were at a little over 15minute averages. The other aspect of the treadmill I have picked up is the incline and interval modes. I would love to ramble on about that feature but at the moment it would be closer to bumble along on that feature. I need to find the treadmill web-site and see if I can learn more.
Tomorrow gonna shoot for zumba at 5:30

No comments: