Monday, November 3, 2008

Running Stairs

When I was in grade 6 I competed on a gymnastics team. In the winter months we used to run the stairwell in the warehouse where the gym was located. Run 3 flights up and move pretty briskly 3 flights down. A pretty hefty workout that my lungs and legs didn't really get used to.
I have attempted similar workouts since then... Running up the stairs in the dorms - not multiple times just every once in a while. Stairmasters. Step classes. I have even run the stairs in my house. All definitely give a workout when using those large muscles called thighs.
This evening I was just TIRED when I left the office. A co-worker actually looked at me, laughed, and told me I looked tired. I figured that was a bad sign.
I left the office and came straight home - no gym outing as I had planned this morning.
It has been raining off and on all day so the outdoor workout wasn't going to happen either.
Nor was heading back out to the gym.
So the stairs won out. Plus the tenants in the townhouse next door have moved out so I don't have to worry about the noise.
And off I went. I can do about 2 flights in a minute. And I did 15 minutes. So 30 flights of 16 steps each for a total of 480 stairs. I am good with that. It got the heart rate up and the sweat pumping.
Most importantly it has confirmed - yes I am tired.
I am going to bed tonight right after Gossip Girl!

No comments: